Localis is hiring a new researcher
Job title: Researcher
Working for: Localis
Location: London (hybrid working from home and in-office)
Salary: £25,000 pro rata
Length of contract: Six months initial contract with three month probationary period
Localis is a leading, independent think tank focusing on devising place-based public policy at the level of national and local government. We are currently seeking a part-time researcher to support the delivery of our research and policy programme. This role would be ideal for a post-graduate student looking for extra applied research experience.
Our former researchers have gone onto work in the civil service, leading research organisations and major private sector consultancies. As a Localis researcher, you will be given research briefs to fulfil on a variety of different projects concerning local government and public policy. The parameters for the research will be defined clearly, but with ample opportunity to bring your own ideas and thoughts to the work as projects develop.
- 24hrs/week (3-day working week, with flexibility over days)
- Can work from home or our office, but will be required in office for training and some staff meetings
- Preparing desk research briefs on a wide variety of policy issues pertaining to local government and local democracy in England and the wider UK.
- Compiling literature reviews on specific subjects/policy areas.
- Writing-up roundtable discussions as succinct research reports.
- Proof-reading and fact-checking reports pre-publication.
- Self-motivated with a passion for research
- Believer in local democracy and the efficacy of well-managed local government
- Graduate in social sciences
- Strong qualitative research skills
- Strong writing skills
- Awareness of quantitative research methods.
- Some knowledge of local government structure in the UK
- Comfortable working in a small team
- Previous experience in a policy research role
- Project management experience
Closing date: 3rd August 2022
The successful candidate would ideally start before the end of August. Interviews will be arranged in w/c 8th August. We may look to arrange interviews before then too.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- A covering letter referencing how you satisfy the required experience for the role.
- Your CV.
- A sample of writing and/or links to previous research work.